Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Truman Blog

Throughout the film, there are shameless advertisements and product placements presented as part of Truman’s life. Is it moral to use Truman’s life as a means to monetary gain?

I would say yes that it is completely immoral you use Truman's life as a way gain something. Truman was completely oblivious to his "controlled life", he had no idea of what was happening to him, and through out his life they shamelessly advertised every type of merchandise they could. They used a man's complete ignorance to further help themselves. There is absolutely no morality to taking advantage of (in a way blind mans) Truman's "life" for monetary gain.

During an interview, Christof states the following: "I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place. Seahaven is the way the world should be." Is Christof correct? What, if any, would be the benefits of living in Seahaven as opposed to the real world?


Christof is wrong, but I understand what he means. He tried to give Truman the "perfect life", a life that will never ever change, a life in which he will never be in danger, a life that will never do him wrong, a life that could offer him everything he can possibly ask for. That sounds great compared to the "real world", where everything is unpredictable, dangerous, hard, scary. If someone were to offer me that I would take Christof's life. But the thing with Truman was that he was never told or asked, he exploited Truman since he was born, without giving Truman the opportunity to choose for himself. Taking away a persons freewill is never alright, it is the one thing as humans we have guaranteed. The only things that are promised in life is disappointment, death and freewill. Truman could of learned a lot outside of Seahaven, rather than in, like disappointment. The world wouldn't be a cast anymore, he would get his way at the end, he would have to deal with being just a regular joe. That in itself is a lesson learned.

Consider yourself in Truman’s position. If presented with the choice to remain in Seahaven, a place where you have been promised that “you have nothing to fear”, or to enter into another world that you know little or nothing about, which would you choose?


If I were offered to stay or to leave, I would leave. I would be tempted to stay in a world where I have nothing to fear, but then that would get boring. Part of living life is living in fear. Fear of losing your job, feat of failing a essay, fear of getting killed there are many things to be afraid of. But if I were to live in a world where I didn't have to fear anymore, I'd frankly be bored out of my mind. I'd want to know what was in that other world, what's different in that world? I would want to experience that other world just out of plain curiosity.

3 comments:

  1. Hi my name is kim and I am an older student and i'm sorry no man should be allowed to decide how you live. If you are not God then how dear you .This world is not perfect if it were then we'd be with god not on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Christof is wrong, but I understand what he means. He tried to give Truman the "perfect life", a life that will never ever change, a life in which he will never be in danger, a life that will never do him wrong, a life that could offer him everything he can possibly ask for." Wow Jofran I agree with your statement about Christof being wrong but still understand what Christof means that he tried to pass Truman the perfect life. Truman had a world that was his, what he do the world do so in a sense it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kim u are right no man should determine what are u going to be

    ReplyDelete